Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
10-11-2017, 03:59 PM
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
(10-11-2017 02:35 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  John, in your book you say (regarding John Surratt), "What he did not escape was the judgment of his co-conspirators, who condemned him, and for good reason: though he was unquestionably the co-leader of the conspiracy with Booth, he left everyone and everything behind to save his skin. This included his mother, whom he could surely have saved if he had returned to Washington."

I am wondering what you feel he could have done to save his mother. I assume he would have been arrested and put on trial with the others. As I understand it, defendants' declarations were not allowed in that trial, so he could not speak to the court in support of his mother. Wouldn't the same vicarious liability have applied to both mother and son? Would the charges against Mary have been different if John were also on trial?

(Although I directed this question to John, I would also be curious what others think might have happened had John Surratt returned to Washington rather remain in Canada. If anyone has thoughts, please post. Thanks.)

I think he would have hanged right along with his mother, and that is what I have told many visitors to the museum who have asked my opinion.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ? - L Verge - 10-11-2017 03:59 PM