Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
04-02-2017, 09:38 AM
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
(04-02-2017 03:16 AM)Jim Woodall Wrote:  While discussing Jarboes, of interest is a Judson Jarboe. In trial testimony, he was seen with Mudd outside of the Surratt house, supposedly. A Judson Jarboe was arrested in 1861 for the murder of John Ogden at the Spaldings election site at Long Old Fields (now Forestville).

Jim, the idea of Dr. Mudd being at the Surratt boardinghouse was new to me. I looked it up in Pitman and will post a portion of his testimony. The testimony was from William A. Evans. IMO, Evans was probably mistaken as I know of no evidence/testimony that Mudd ever went into the boardinghouse of Mary Surratt (other than Evans' testimony).

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"I have seen Dr. Mudd at different times for the last fifteen years, though I never was introduced to him. I have, I think, met Dr. Mudd at different places in the city, and at the National Hotel. Last winter I saw him go into the house of Mrs. Surratt on H Street; I could not say positively where the house is; it may be between Ninth and Tenth Streets, or between Eighth and Ninth Streets; somewhere along there. I asked a policeman, and a lady who was on the sidewalk, whose house it was, and was told it was Mrs. Surratt's. I had seen rebels going in there — Judson Jarboe and others — and I wished to know who lived there. It was a brick house, of perhaps two stories and an attic, and is, I think, between the Patent Office and the President's house, and is on the right-hand side going toward the Capitol."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ? - RJNorton - 04-02-2017 09:38 AM