Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
04-02-2017, 03:16 AM
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
(03-30-2017 10:11 AM)L Verge Wrote:  
(03-30-2017 05:37 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(03-28-2017 05:49 PM)loetar44 Wrote:  Roger,

Do you know what were the exact words of Anna's exclamation? "Think of THAT MAN BOOTH having called at this house ....", or "Think of THAT MAN having been here ...."

Kees, in The Evidence the quote is as follows:

"Think of that man Booth having called at this house not more than an hour and a half before the assassination."

https://books.google.com/books?id=GvYpUe...22&f=false

That link to The Evidence did not include the page on which that appears, page 1331. In going to the book, myself (it is always by my desk at work), I found it as being "items not brought out in the examination of Weichmann, or that he has since recalled." That source makes the insertion of "Booth" spurious in and of itself to me. It is also stated here that Anna made that statement at the breakfast table the next morning, not at the time that the detectives were there.

It is also interesting, given what Susan posted about Anna being sick, that the same statement has Anna, Olivia, and Honora making so much noise in the parlor after dinner (and the so-called visit by Booth) that Mrs. Surratt ordered them all to bed early... Guess Anna had a quick recovery.

On another issue relative to the query as to who "Miss Mitchell" was (see Susan's previous post), there is a statement given by Anna M. Weber, the landlady to Miss Anne Mitchell, residing at 325 Fifth Street. Mrs. Weber describes Mitchell has having deep Southern sympathies and having a beaux named George Jarboe (aka George Smith), who evidently traveled through the lines and had been arrested a few months earlier, taken the oath, and then left town. He visited Mitchell last on the day of the assassination, coming to her office at Towers Printing Office to say good-bye.

Jarboe is a very familiar name in Charles County, so I suspect that Miss Mitchell's arrest had to do with George's activities (and maybe her own) and not with Surratt -- unless young Surratt had yet another series of aliases.

There is a George Jarboe (only one in '60s census in DC and Maryland) who is the brother of Daniel W Jarboe. Daniel killed Dan Nally, both Navy Yard blacksmiths, for refusing to marry his sister after being with her in 1856. DA for the trial was Philip Barton Key, who was later killed by Dan Sickles who would employ the Jarboe trial as precedence for temp insanity. Jarboe's defense attorney, Joseph H Bradley, would later defend John Surratt. Jarboe was not found guilty.

thishillishome.com recently did a 3-part blog on Jarboe's trial.

The third part discusses the above comments.

George B Jarboe joined with the confederate unit, Co E of 1st Reg Virginia Volunteers in Apr '61 at the age of 22. He was signed up for it out of Washington, D.C.

While discussing Jarboes, of interest is a Judson Jarboe. In trial testimony, he was seen with Mudd outside of the Surratt house, supposedly. A Judson Jarboe was arrested in 1861 for the murder of John Ogden at the Spaldings election site at Long Old Fields (now Forestville).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ? - Jim Woodall - 04-02-2017 03:16 AM