Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
03-29-2017, 03:27 PM
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
I have a question regarding Mary Surratt when she returned to the boardinghouse after her trip to Surrattsville. On the trip home she said she was expecting a gentleman visitor at about 9 P.M. She wouldn't tell Weichmann who it was.

Was it Smoot? Or was it Booth?

Weichmann writes, "She was very anxious to be at home at nine o'clock, saying that she had made an engagement with some gentleman to meet her at that hour."

Yet, even though she was expecting someone, she agreed to go to Good Friday church services with Eliza Holohan. According to Kate Larson, the two ladies departed after Booth's (possible) visit but prior to Smoot's. According to Bettie Trindal, the two ladies got as far as Dr. Evans' house and turned around due to poor weather. They returned to the boardinghouse, and very soon afterwards Smoot arrived.

To me this makes Mary's visit with Smoot "accidental;" if the weather were good she would have been at church when Smoot arrived.

My question: if Mary meant Smoot when she told Weichmann she expected a gentleman visitor, why did she agree to attend church services with Eliza Holohan?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ? - RJNorton - 03-29-2017 03:27 PM