Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
03-20-2017, 09:13 AM
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
(03-20-2017 05:44 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(03-18-2017 07:17 PM)brtmchl Wrote:  Did Susan Jackson ever speak of his physical appearance during her testimony?

Mike, long ago I think I read somewhere that Susan Jackson had her dates confused. In other words, what she described in her testimony did not really happen on April 14th. Rather it happened much earlier (maybe in late March or very early April). Now I have looked for this in several books and cannot find where I read it. Does anyone recall ever reading something like this?

Eliza Hawkins ("Aunt Rachel") contradicted Susan Jackson's testimony at John Surratt's trial (see vol. 1, p. 693-94). She stated that Susan told her the Tuesday after the assassination that she had last seen John two weeks before the assassination.

Nora Fitzpatrick also testified at that trial that Susan had seen John two weeks before the assassination (see vol. I, pp. 713-14).

Of course, both these two witnesses were predisposed in favor of the Surratt family and had a motive to lie, but it's also possible that Susan was genuinely confused.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ? - Susan Higginbotham - 03-20-2017 09:13 AM