Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
03-19-2017, 12:05 PM
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
(03-19-2017 09:55 AM)loetar44 Wrote:  Counsel Richard T. Merrick, resuming, said at the John Surratt-trial:

One other circumstance connected with these witnesses from Elmira is worthy of your considerations. They all testify to the peculiar kind of coat known as a Garibaldi jacket. You saw the pattern of it exhibited in court, buttoned round the throat, and plaited in the back and in the breast, with a belt around the waist—a coat a like unto which there is none in this room, and probably none in use in the city of Washington. They testify to seeing that identical coat on this man. We bring here from Canada the tailor who swears that he made this identical coat for this man in Canada, on the 9th of April, 1865. He swears that he made it for Surratt, and we find Surratt in that coat in Elmira. He then returns to Canada, and they prove by the agent of the hotel and the clerk who kept the register that when he came there he had on that identical coat.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

From the testimony of John J. Reeves:
Q. Did you ever make any clothes for him in Montreal ?
A. I did.
Q. State what garments you made for him.
A. I made a Garibaldi.
Q. "When was that ?
A. In April, 1865.
Q. Can you state what day of the month ?
A. Between the 8th and 9th.
Q. Describe it.
A. It was a Garibaldi of cloth; a pleated garment with the pleats in front; also in the back. The wristbands were plain, same as the shirt, with a belt round the body.
Q. What was the belt made of?
A. Of the same material.
Q. Describe how it buttons in front.
A. There are, I believe, about four buttons in front, and one in the belt.
Q. Do you recollect the color ?
A. It is of a cloth mixture.
Q. Have you any doubt that this is the gentleman that bought that coat ?
A. This is the gentleman that bought the coat.
Q. Do you recollect when he returned to Montreal, and where he went ?
A. I do.
Q. State about what time he returned and where he went.
A. He returned to Montreal, and came to me and said that the coat was too tight around the neck. I altered the coat and made it larger around the neck. I asked him where he was staying, he having commenced talking with me about one thing and another.
Q. About what date was that ?
A. In fact I could not say; somewhere between the 11th and the 18th.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Q. You can state, after looking at the entry, what it was John Harrison got, and when.
A. He got a Garibaldi of cloth. I measured him on the 7th day of April, and delivered it on Monday, the 9th.
The Court. The 9th would be Sunday.
Witness. It is Monday, the 9th, in my books.

My apologies, Kees. Evidently modern textile/clothing sources have overlooked the male version of the Garibaldi. I did check several devoted strictly to men's fashions of the 1860s. I would love to see a photo of the male version; wonder if it had the full sleeves (often referred to as bishop sleeves)?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ? - L Verge - 03-19-2017 12:05 PM