Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
03-18-2017, 07:17 PM (This post was last modified: 03-18-2017 07:33 PM by brtmchl.)
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
Reed testified that Surratt wore "a round-crowned hat" and his "country suit" as "drab." Reed discribed the man he identified as Surratt as being "a light-complexioned man; his hair was rather singular like; it is not red or brown, but rather sandy; and as "rather delicate; he would not weigh over 140 pounds; he walks a little stooped."

Joseph Dye testified that the third man "wore one of those fashionable hats they wear in Washington -- round top and stiff brim" and "His coat was a kind of a dead color." He also call the man the "the smallest one" and later as "Not very large; about five feet six inches high. " he also calls him a "very neat gentleman, well dressed, and with a moustache."

James Humphrey describes Surratt as "sandy hair and a light goatee; his eyes were sunken; he was thin featured."

Charles Woods says "I shaved him clean all round the face, with the exception of where his moustache was. He had a slight
mustache at the time." and "the clothes he had on were rather light. I
cannot remember the particular kind of clothes, whether woollen, linen, or cotton."

For me, this sounds like all of these witnesses could be identifying the same man. Dye's testimony was almost exactly the same at both trials.

Did Susan Jackson ever speak of his physical appearance during her testimony?

If I were a spy, I would have created an alibi for myself. "Possibly" take a trip to another city, make sure I would be seen, wear something flashy. The real question is, Could he have gotten back to Washington in time to participate?

I still find his statement strange that he didn't hear the news until he read about it on Monday. He had to assume he would be implicated. The police were at his door within the first hour of the shooting.

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ? - brtmchl - 03-18-2017 07:17 PM