Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
03-17-2017, 12:46 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2017 12:47 PM by L Verge.)
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
Do any of you have access to Frederick Hatch's 2016 book, John Surratt: Rebel, Lincoln Conspirator, Fugitive?

Fred has very detailed information on this "Elmira" subject in Chapter 6, "In Hiding" - complete with trains, boats, hotels, and statements.

In parting, let me just say that one detail that convinced me that Surratt was not in DC at the time of the assassination is the description that two Elmira residents gave of John Surratt's "Canadian style" coat. One specifically said that he saw Surratt in it between April 12 and 15. Those are minor little details to some people, but I consider them a telling clue for us.

I don't care how much we quibble over time schedules between DC and points in NY and Canada, I still think that there were more reliable sources placing Surratt away from the scene of the crime in DC. Those who testified against Surratt had much more to gain -- federal authorities as well as seekers of rewards.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ? - L Verge - 03-17-2017 12:46 PM