Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
03-14-2017, 07:59 PM
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
“On Monday when I was leaving Canandaigua I bought some New York papers. In looking them over, my eye lit on the following paragraph which I have never forgot, and don’t think I ever will. It runs thus: ‘The assassin of Secretary Seward is said to be John H. Surratt, a notorious secessionist of Southern Maryland. His name, with that of J. Wilkes Booth, will forever lead the infamous role of assassins.’ I could scarcely believe my senses. I gazed upon my name, the letters of which seemed to sometimes grow as large as mountains and dwindle away to nothing. So much for my former connection with him I thought. After fully realizing the state of the case, I concluded to change my course and go direct to Canada." - John Surratt

The New York Times reported:
President Lincoln Shot by an Assassin.; The Deed Done at Ford's Theatre Last Night. THE ACT OF A DESPERATE REBEL The President Still Alive at Last Accounts. No Hopes Entertained of His Recovery. Attempted Assassination of Secretary Seward. DETAILS OF THE DREADFUL TRAGEDY.
Published: April 15, 1865
WAR DEPARTMENT, WASHINGTON, April 15 -- 1:30 A.M.

The New York Herold also carried the story on Sat the 15th

How could Surratt have avoided the news until Monday? If he had heard, how could he have not known that he would have been implicated for his association with Booth?

I do find this thread very interesting even though I still lean toward Elmira.

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ? - brtmchl - 03-14-2017 07:59 PM