Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
03-14-2017, 05:22 PM (This post was last modified: 03-14-2017 06:06 PM by brtmchl.)
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
http://www.nytimes.com/1865/05/16/news/t...wanted=all

According to this account of Dye's testomony he identified Spangler as "the rough looking one' of the two men with Booth and identifies "the smallest one" as the man who called out the time.

The first that attracted my notice was one elegantly-dressed gentleman that came out of the passage and commenced conversing with a rough-looking party; when there was another joined them, and the three conversed together after they had conversed awhile and it was drawing near the end of the second act, he well-dressed one, who appeared to be the leader, said: "I think he will come out now," referring I suppose to the President........ several gentlemen came down, and went in and had a drink in the saloon below there. After they went up, the best-dressed gentleman stepped into the saloon, and waited long enough to take a drink. He came out in a style as though he was becoming intoxicated. He stopped up and whispered to the roughest-looking one of the three, and went into the passage that leads from the stage to the street; then the smallest one stepped up just as the well-dressed one appeared again and called out the time. He started up street and remained awhile, and came down again and called the time again; then I began to think there was something wrong. Presently he went up and called the time again louder than before; I think it was ten minutes after ten..........Then he started at a fast walk up the street. The best-dressed one then went inside the theatre. I started for a saloon, and had just time to get down to it and order oysters, when a man came running in and said the President was shot.........

Do you recognize the well-dressed man from the photograph? I now show you a photograph of Booth. A. -- That is the man. His moustache was heavier, and his beard longer, though.

Q. -- I wish you to give, if you can, a more particular description of this rough-looking man. What was his size? What gave him the ruffianly appearance you speak of? Was it his dress? A. -- He was not as well dressed as the rest of them.
Q. -- Was he shabbily or dirtily dressed? A. -- His clothes were more worn and shabby.
Q. -- Was he a stout man? A. -- Yes, rather.
Q. -- Which way did he go? A. -- He remained at the passage while the other one started up the street.
Q. -- The time was announced to these other men three times, was it? A. -- Yes.
Q. -- Did he immediately go into the theatre after announcing the time the last occasion? A. -- Yes.
Q. -- Will you look at these persons and see whether you recognize any of them as the persons you saw on that occasion? A. -- If that man (pointed to Spangler) had a moustache, he has just the appearance exactly of the rough-looking man standing at the end of the passage; it was rather dark back there, and I could not see him distinctly, but he had a moustache.
Cross:
Q. -- About how tall do you think the man with the slouch clothes is? A. -- He was about five feet eight or nine inches.
By the Court -- Q. -- I understand you to say that the prisoner, Spangler, was the man? A. -- I say that was the countenance, with a moustache; that is the very face.
By Mr. Ewing -- Q. -- Have you seen the man since the assassination of the President before? A. -- Yes, in the Old Capitol Prison.
Q. -- In the presence of what person? A. -- Of the proprietor of the theatre, Sergeant Cooper and another person.
Q. -- Did it seem to you then that was the man? A. -- All but the moustache.

Q. -- Do you think you recognize either of the other persons here as among the three you have mentioned? A. -- No. The third one was a very neat gentleman, well dressed, and with a moustache.
Q. -- Do you not see him here? A. -- No.
Q. -- How was he in regard to size? A. -- Not very large; about five feet six inches high.
Q. -- Do you remember now the color of his clothes? A. -- His coat was a kind of a dead color; his hat was black.

Reed testified that Surratt wore "a round-crowned hat" and his "country suit" as "drab." Reed discribed the man he identified as Surratt as being "a light-complexioned man; his hair was rather singular like; it is not red or brown, but rather sandy; and as "rather delicate; he would not weigh over 140 pounds; he walks a little stooped."

Joseph Dye testified that the third man "wore one of those fashionable hats they wear in Washington -- round top and stiff brim" and "His coat was a kind of a dead color." He also call the man the "the smallest one" and later as "Not very large; about five feet six inches high. " he also calls him a "very neat gentleman, well dressed, and with a moustache."

James Humphrey describes Surratt as "sandy hair and a light goatee; his eyes were sunken; he was thin featured."

Charles Woods says "I shaved him clean all round the face, with the exception of where his moustache was. He had a slight
mustache at the time." and "the clothes he had on were rather light. I
cannot remember the particular kind of clothes, whether woollen, linen, or cotton."

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ? - brtmchl - 03-14-2017 05:22 PM