Did Vinnie Ream visit the White House daily for 5 months?
02-20-2017, 07:57 PM
RE: Did Vinnie Ream visit the White House daily for 5 months?
I've also been wondering about this and am quite skeptical. Some sources print a letter from Mary to Vinnie, but it is signed Mary Todd Lincoln, which she never used in any other discovered letter. It was either made up for the drama of it or whoever typed it up didn't scrutinize the signature closely and filled in the blank mentally. There are letters from Mary to Charles Sumner and others denouncing her lobbying to get the commission and her ability to do the statue. She says she received a note from Vinnie related to it. Then a little bit later she tells Alphonso Dunn, who had some of Lincoln's clothes that I think Vinnie wanted her model to wear, after telling him not to give them to her, that he can do whatever he wants with them. She says she still thinks Vinnie will fail, but is apparently over it, and she declares Vinnie "an entire stranger to me and mine" and an "unknown person" multiple times.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did Vinnie Ream visit the White House daily for 5 months? - kerry - 02-20-2017 07:57 PM