Did Vinnie Ream visit the White House daily for 5 months?
02-05-2017, 10:49 AM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2017 10:55 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Did Vinnie Ream visit the White House daily for 5 months?
(02-05-2017 09:53 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  I think this is her bust of Abraham Lincoln.

I believe that is the photo that does not show on my screen from here.

The photo I am most used to seeing is here.

Do these two busts look the same? I am a little confused. My eyes are aging...
Roger, I'm afraid my eyes even see less as this is what the second link shows:

The first and third links both show this picture, which is the one I'm used to see, too:

(02-05-2017 07:57 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Eva, I used a book I have entitled Vinnie Ream - The Story of the Girl Who Sculptured Lincoln by Gordon Langley Hall.

Hall references a diary when he writes, "She graphically described in her diary the half-hourly visits she paid to the White House during the next five months."

So I just assumed she had a diary.
Thanks, Roger. The following you quoted above does sound there was/is such a diary:

"In her diary Vinnie writes, 'His favorite son, Willie, had just died and this had been the greatest personal loss in his life. I made him think of Willie and he often said so and as often wept...was at the window watching for Willie, for he had always watched the boy playing every afternoon at that window. Sometimes great tears rolled down his cheeks'."

It does sound like written on the very day experienced.

To me the existence of such a diary would make the entire difference to credibility. If no diary, just a later interview, I would cast doubts and blame it on time expanding memory and on wish being father to her thoughts/memory.

If V.R. did write such a diary on the very same days incidents took place and worded like above I see no reason for her to make such up. The existence of a contemporary bust seems another indication.

Unfortunately if this is the author one cannot contact her anymore to inquire about the diary's existence and whereabouts:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawn_Langley_Simmons
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did Vinnie Ream visit the White House daily for 5 months? - Eva Elisabeth - 02-05-2017 10:49 AM