Lincoln the Shakespearean critic?
05-31-2014, 11:28 AM
RE: Lincoln the Shakespearean critic?
(05-31-2014 05:52 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(05-30-2014 06:27 PM)CHeberton Wrote:  A little background on Leonard Grover: he traveled with Ward Hill Lamon's group from Washington, D.C. on November 17, 1863 via train to Gettysburg where he presumably witnessed the dedication of the new Soldiers' National Cemetery and Lincoln's "Gettysburg Address" on November 19, 1863.

Hi Craig. This was new to me. Do you possibly recall where you saw this? Many thanks.

This information is from the Ward Hill Lamon Collection at the Huntington Library. Grover is one of several names listed on a declaration of the persons intending to accompany Marshal-in-chief Ward H. Lamon to Gettysburg "tomorrow" from Washington, D.C. Most of the men on the list can be cross-referenced to later reports identifying them as marshal's aides. I have not found Grover (and several others, such as Col. W.Y. Dennis) denoted in any newspaper reports as having served as an aide. I address some of this, along with the possibility that Ward H. & his brother Robert Lamon appear together in several photos taken at Hanover Junction, PA, at:
http://abrahamlincolnatgettysburg.wordpr...nction-pa/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln the Shakespearean critic? - CHeberton - 05-31-2014 11:28 AM