"Symbolic Inauguration Moments"
01-16-2017, 05:07 PM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2017 05:27 PM by STS Lincolnite.)
RE: "Symbolic Inauguration Moments"
Every time I think of a Presidential inauguration, I can't help but think of Lincoln's two inaugural addresses - lot of "symbolic moments" there!. There have been many inaugural addresses and Lincoln's stand among the very best. I just finished presenting a talk on the 1864 Presidential Election and I again had cause to read and include one of my favorite portions of each of his (readers on this discussion group will certainly recognize the last paragraph of the 2nd inaugural address):

“With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations.”

I think these are words we all should remember and I would hope we might all continually strive to achieve the goals so beautifully and powerfully set forth therein. I hope I am up to the task!!

Those words certainly move me every time I read them or hear them.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Symbolic Inauguration Moments" - STS Lincolnite - 01-16-2017 05:07 PM