"What If John Wilkes Booth Went To Trial?"
09-08-2012, 08:27 AM
RE: "What If John Wilkes Booth Went To Trial?"
Roger,it would seem that Atzerodt;s statement did on the face violate the common law precept I described. But apparently most legal policies seem to have exceptions, I don't have my references at hand but remember reading a 1980's Surratt Courier and American Brutus or possibly a separate article by Kaufman on the subject of defendant testimony, The profound difference with modern courtroom practices made a great impression on me, a non lawyer. who has enjoyed watching movies set in the 19th century depicting defendants testifying at trial being subjected to withering cross examination.
The Lincoln trial record is replete with admonition to witnesses not to quote what the defendants said but I remember puzzling exceptions that did not come remotely close to the doctrine that defendants' words could only be quoted while they were committing a crime.

I am equally puzzled as to why Atzerodt's statement was permitted and if legal why the other defendants did not submit their own statements. Perhaps Atzerodt's statement was considered to be a confession. Did he not admit being part of the kidnapping conspiracy and being present with JWB and friends at the crucial 4/14/65 meeting or meetings?
Tom
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: "What If John Wilkes Booth Went To Trial?" - Thomas Thorne - 09-08-2012 08:27 AM