Robert Todd Lincoln --The vitals
02-03-2018, 02:47 PM
RE: Robert Todd Lincoln --The vitals
From Randall: "Late in June a letter signed "Union" came to the President saying: "It appears that the appointment of Mr. Wood, as Comr. of P. B. has given great dissatisfactions to the citizens of this District, and some of the dastardly politicians and poltrons, are only waiting the action of the Senate, and if Mr. W. is confirmed, they will attempt to stab you in the most vital part, by circulating scandal about your most estimable Lady and Mr. W. They say the papers of this country and europe will teem with it. Human nature is prone to evil I know, but was ever anything so diabolical heard of before?" The writer said with feeling that by his love for his own wife and children he could "form some idea, of the anguish and pain, that such a report might occasion."

That is the context. It clearly portrays it as a rumor enemies are going to fabricate; Dr. Henry's letter also talks about such plots in 1864. That doesn't mean the rumors were definitely false, but this letter is often taken out of context. The writer clearly does not believe it, and may have even heard people say they will make it up. The times were such that people would make up those things. With Burlingame, I don't mind him bringing up rumors for context and to complete the record, but I do get the sense he mainly does it with Mary, and it is unfair. All through Browning and French's diaries, which are the main sources for her corruption, they are struggling with their own issues. French gets into it with Secretary Usher and is accused of something unspecified; he may have been innocent, but it is easy to insinuate against him, especially because he did get yelled at by Lincoln for trying to bring more under his power to control. Browning, I believe, was involved in cotton speculation etc. This isn't to say any of them are terrible people - the rules were a little fuzzy at the time, and I think they all got a little greedy - it's human nature. But Mary takes the brunt of the rumors. What French says about Mary is nothing given his rants about others. And the big rumors about Mary were usually paired with accusations against Lincoln that get left out.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Robert Todd Lincoln --The vitals - kerry - 02-03-2018 02:47 PM