Robert Todd Lincoln --The vitals
01-26-2018, 06:56 PM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2018 06:56 PM by Anita.)
RE: Robert Todd Lincoln --The vitals
(01-26-2018 06:07 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(01-26-2018 05:47 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Matheny also "maintained that Mr. Lincoln told him that he was in love with [Mary Todd’s niece] Matilda Edwards rather than Mary Todd."

Very interesting, Eva. I have also read that Lincoln's real love (at that time) was Matilda Edwards. I think one or two others of the Springfield "coterie" may have claimed this (not 100% sure, though), but offhand I cannot remember the names.

I've been following the discussion here and in researching came across a book by Douglas L Wilson, "Lincoln Before Washington: New Perspectives on the Illinois Years." Chapter 6. Abraham Lincoln and "That Fatal First Of January."

It's 33 pages of detailed documented discussion with emphasis on Matilda (much new to me) woven together to provide those "new perspectives" I found well worth considering.

I don't have the book but there is a very lengthy amount of the chapter as a Google books preview but with key pages missing of course! Does anyone own this book? Other chapters look interesting as well. Here's the link.

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y9slj4v7
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Robert Todd Lincoln --The vitals - Anita - 01-26-2018 06:56 PM