Robert Todd Lincoln --The vitals
01-26-2018, 06:07 AM
RE: Robert Todd Lincoln --The vitals
(01-26-2018 05:47 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Matheny also "maintained that Mr. Lincoln told him that he was in love with [Mary Todd’s niece] Matilda Edwards rather than Mary Todd."

Very interesting, Eva. I have also read that Lincoln's real love (at that time) was Matilda Edwards. I think one or two others of the Springfield "coterie" may have claimed this (not 100% sure, though), but offhand I cannot remember the names.

(01-21-2018 12:23 PM)kerry Wrote:  Judge Matheney told Weik much, but made him promise to keep it to himself until both he and Mary had died. “The marriage was originally set for a day in the winter of 1840-1841, probably New Year’s Day, and Judge Matheney always instead that he had been asked to serve as groan then; but Lincoln, for reasons unnecessary to detail here, having failed to materialize at the appoint time, an estrangement naturally followed and he was no longer enshrined in the affections of Miss Todd or person grata at the Edwards home . ..

Kerry, I do not have access to this information of which you speak, but it's interesting in that it seems to me to be more evidence that there really was a "first" wedding planned (which I previously have doubted). I am most curious about one thing. If Matheny were to be a groom in this "first" wedding, did he tell Weik who was to be the best man?

(My guess would be Speed as I think he had not yet moved to Kentucky at that point in time - January 1, 1841. I believe Speed told Herndon that he remained in Springfield until January 1842.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Robert Todd Lincoln --The vitals - RJNorton - 01-26-2018 06:07 AM