Robert Todd Lincoln --The vitals
01-26-2018, 05:47 AM
RE: Robert Todd Lincoln --The vitals
Re.:"In the Douglas debates, Douglas used Matheny's statement about something against Lincoln. Lincoln said Matheny told a story about which he actually knew nothing, but did not refute Douglas' claim that he had been close friends with Matheny for 20 years."

Kerry, Lincoln's entire statement on that is on the I posted. The site also sheds some light on the timeline of the friendship. (Donald in his" We are Lincoln Men" didn't include Matheny btw.)

I see no controversy as for Douglas' claim going unrefuted, "close friends" is a matter of perception first of all, and Lincoln's definition/perception might have been different than Douglas. Fact is the had known each other for that long and their ways often crossed. However, I'd think "close friends" (from Lincoln's side) rather as for the frequency of encountering/cooperating over the the years and in the "practical" than "spiritual" sense, i.e. they were rather "male buddies" due to work. I doubt that if profession and politics had not frequently brought them together, they would have "seeked" each other that much.

Matheny also "maintained that Mr. Lincoln told him that he was in love with [Mary Todd’s niece] Matilda Edwards rather than Mary Todd."

It's striking that Lincoln didn't really speak on him when he was supposed to speak to his honor

That I have long esteemed Mr. Matheny as a man and a friend, is known to you all. But that I should mete out to you the full measure of his worth, I shall not now attempt to do. Besides, much of this has already been beautifully and graphically done by my friend Mr. Herndon. Mr. Chairman, allow me in conclusion to say that I fully concur in all that has been said and done on this occasion.”
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Robert Todd Lincoln --The vitals - Eva Elisabeth - 01-26-2018 05:47 AM