Robert Todd Lincoln --The vitals
01-25-2018, 12:36 PM (This post was last modified: 01-25-2018 05:55 PM by kerry.)
RE: Robert Todd Lincoln --The vitals
I think he is the sole source, but I'm not positive. I wonder if a close reading of the Trumbull papers would reveal any discussion of it by Julia Trumbull when these discussions about the wedding were going on.

William Jayne wrote: "Butler Hon Wm Butler — Secry of the Treasurer of this State — who clothed and boarded Lincoln for years — paid his debts — L's — debts & obligations, because L would not give him Butler in 1848 the land office swore he would be revenged on Lincoln. Butler pretended however to be L's friend. He was for Trumbull — got into Lincolns good graces — in Lincolns camp — heard all and revealed to Trumbull & his camp. Judd & Palmer in the Legislature heard all and Stuck to Trumbull, Knowing what L's plans were &c. Trumbull was Elected — they were good friends — had no fuss — no words or misunderstanding — Matheny to the Contrary notwithstanding — his whole story was a lie —"

So he's questioning Matheny's credibility. I can't find what Matheny's story was. But Herndon also wrote on something "This is Matheny's honest opinion and no man is superior to Matheny's judgments &c of human nature — actions & motives"

I'm not sure if this link will work:

https://books.google.com/books?id=YIO9BA...ln&f=false

In the Douglas debates, Douglas used Matheny's statement about something against Lincoln. Lincoln said Matheny told a story about which he actually knew nothing, but did not refute Douglas' claim that he had been close friends with Matheny for 20 years. Maybe Matheny had a habit of doing that. In general, he looks like a pretty solid witness, but it's also clear even credible witnesses got their memories fogged up or repeated gossip as fact. Some people are natural exaggerators. It surprises me how often Herndon's witnesses say, "well, as I learned in Lamon's book," -- the effect of that book on Springfield memory has not been appreciated. It may have been generally denigrated, but people in Springfield knew that Lamon and Herndon, the provider of the information, knew Lincoln very well. They seemed to discount their own memories when inconsistencies arose. Only a few endeavored to correct it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Robert Todd Lincoln --The vitals - kerry - 01-25-2018 12:36 PM