Robert Todd Lincoln --The vitals
01-24-2018, 06:03 PM (This post was last modified: 01-24-2018 06:09 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Robert Todd Lincoln --The vitals
Roger, while I am familiar with the "story" I cannot recall the o-source (when and where it was told/appeared the first time by whom).
It's a nice story and would match Lincoln, I just am amazed the judge happened to be there as the guests were invited quite short-term.

This is what Eugenia Jones Hunt recalled being told by Mary's sister, Frances Todd Wallace, in the late 'sixties about the Lincolns' wedding:
"Mr. Lincoln had known my sister Mary over three years, when he called to see her the night before their marriage. In his conversation with Mary, he referred to his lack of means, his ambitions, and his love for her. 'I now suggest and insist upon our marriage at once. We will live at the Globe Tavern for the present. Now we must go, very quietly without fuss and feathers, at ten o'clock tomorrow morning, before the magistrate, and ask him to marry us.'
The next morning at the breakfast table, Mary told our sister, Lizzie, and Mr. Edwards that she and Mr. Lincoln had decided to be married at ten o'clock that morning, very quietly by the magistrate. Our aristocratic sister, with an outburst, gave Mary a good scolding. 'Do not forget that you are a Todd. But, Mary, if you insist on being married today, we will make merry, and have the wedding here this evening. I will not permit you to be married out of my house. Mr. Lincoln should ask the Reverend Dr. Dresser to officiate at the ceremony.' Mr. Edwards said: 'Mary, I agree with you - Mr. Lincoln is talented and will be an influential man, a leader among men. And now, ask all of your friends to be present at your wedding.'
Be assured, Eugenia, it was a hurly-burly day. How we hustled! I had a whole boiled ham which I took over for the wedding supper, and made the bride's and groom's cake. It was a very pretty and gay wedding. The ladies were in lovely evening gowns. Sister Mary was handsome in her beautiful bridal dress of white satin, with her pearl necklace, earrings, and brooch. Miss Lina Lamb and Julia Jayne were Mary's bridesmaids. After the ceremony, congratulations, and the wedding supper, we danced until midnight in those spacious parlors of the Ninian Edwards home."
(Eugenia Jones Hunt: “My Personal Recollections of Abraham and Mary Todd Lincoln”, The Abraham Lincoln Quarterly, March 1945, p. 236-237.)

Not sure how many Abraham Lincoln made to invite. (Girls are usually faster at social gatherings.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Robert Todd Lincoln --The vitals - Eva Elisabeth - 01-24-2018 06:03 PM