Robert Todd Lincoln --The vitals
01-16-2018, 10:17 AM
RE: Robert Todd Lincoln --The vitals
I came to the R. Lincoln discussion late, but I think the religious quote from Robert Lincoln is interesting. I feel like I've read it somewhere before.I checked all my notes and I don't have it anywhere. There's an online blog on Google that has it and attributes it to the Prescott Journal of April 29, 1865: https://thecivilwarandnorthwestwisconsin...ssination/

That blog also mentions Maunsell Field, who later wrote about the scenes inside Petersen House in similar dramatic language. Of Clara Harris, Field wrote:
"In the hall, I met Miss Harris, the daughter of Senator Harris of New York, who had been one of the presidential party at the theatre. As soon as she saw me, she exclaimed “Oh, Mr. Field, the President is dying, but for heaven’s sake do not tell Mrs. Lincoln."

I believe Robert was rambunctious at one point because there's an account from Mary Lincoln's cousin, who was unaware he was related to Mary and her boys when the shared a railroad car to Lexington, Ky., when the boys were young. The cousin arrived at the Todd home first and crabbed about the unruly boys who crawled all over the railroad car and their indulgent father who played right along with them.

I have a small soft spot for Robert because he donated more than $100, I forget the exact amount, to Boy Scouts of America at the turn of the century when he was president of Pullman.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Robert Todd Lincoln --The vitals - Lincoln Wonk - 01-16-2018 10:17 AM