Robert Todd Lincoln --The vitals
01-07-2018, 01:28 PM
RE: Robert Todd Lincoln --The vitals
In Across the Busy Years, Butler wrote, "It was not long before another suggestion was made which both interested and disturbed him (Robert Lincoln). This came from an editorial written by Alfred Holman, who was the editor of the San Francisco Argonaut, which was published in the Argonaut under the title, The Tomb of Lincoln. Mr. Holman's editorial made the suggestion that Lincoln's remains should be taken from Springfield, Illinois, to Washington, D. C, and buried permanently at the newly planned Lincoln Memorial. When the suggestion reached Robert Lincoln, he wrote me this letter on November 15, 1922:

"I am leaving for Washington tomorrow and will briefly give you my ideas on the subject of the suggestion of Mr. Alfred Holman which I have read with a great deal of interest and I can quite understand the value of his suggestion, but necessarily I must consider the idea of changing the burial place of my father from Springfield, Illinois to Washington City from a very different viewpoint than that of Mr. Holman. Of course I could write at length upon the subject but I think it best to do so only briefly.

I will ask you, if it is convenient to do so, to look in my father's life by Nicolay and Hay and to read again at Volume III page 291 my father's farewell address upon leaving Springfield. Then in Volume X at page 324 on the last page is an indication of the monument at Springfield in which my father is buried. At the time there was no serious thought of his being buried anywhere else. The memorial monument was the work of Larkin G. Mead, an American sculptor who had his home in Vermont and who was, in his time, of very considerable distinction and I must say that I think that Mr. Holman's severe words in speaking of it are unduly strong. In later years some structural defects appeared and the State of Illinois appropriated a very large sum of money to rectify them. It is a structure in which the State has taken a great interest in every way. It has a resident custodian who is an officer of the State. Within it are entombed the bodies of my father and my mother and my only son and it is arranged that my wife and myself shall be entombed there. I should myself oppose any change.

I am entirely in agreement with Mr. Holman in his admiration of the Lincoln Memorial building at Washington. This creation is due to the work of an old friend of my father, Senator Cullom, and he never had any idea of its taking the place as a burial monument of the one at Springfield and would, if alive, be opposed to it as I should be.

I will not attempt to say anything more and very much hope that the project of Mr. Holman be not further pressed or made a matter of public discussion, certainly at least in my lifetime."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Robert Todd Lincoln --The vitals - RJNorton - 01-07-2018 01:28 PM