Did William Coggeshall Save Lincoln's Life?
09-28-2016, 08:46 PM
RE: Did William Coggeshall Save Lincoln's Life?
(09-28-2016 08:24 PM)John Fazio Wrote:  Laurie:

The diaries of 1861, 1863 and 1865 may offer something. Likewise the Coggeshall material contained in other files in the library, per the list given. They are worth a look. I will be close to Columbus on October 4.

It is a difficult issue. It seems most improbable that there is no corroborating reference somewhere to Coggeshall's account re his relationship with Lincoln, but it seems equally improbable that he would fabricate the account out of whole cloth. His record and accomplishments would appear to preclude that. The theories offered to explain deliberate falsehood strike me as unconvincing.

John

John

Let us know what you find in Columbus. My concerns are that nothing seems to come from a primary source and that the hand grenade reference just does not match the technology of the time and that it appears to have happened in a vacuum with no other corroborating testimonies from anyone else on or near that train car or platform. Lincoln may have sworn Coggeshall to secrecy, but someone else would surely have reported such an event given the turmoil following Lincoln's election and in preparation for his trip to DC.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did William Coggeshall Save Lincoln's Life? - L Verge - 09-28-2016 08:46 PM