Did William Coggeshall Save Lincoln's Life?
09-28-2016, 11:30 AM
RE: Did William Coggeshall Save Lincoln's Life?
http://www.accessible-archives.com/2011/...-evidence/

There are quite a few citations for a twelve-volume series entitled Rebellion Record, A Diary of American Events, edited by Frank Moore in 1866 and reprinted in 1977 by the now-defunct Arno Press, as I skim through Freda Postle Koch's book on Col. Coggeshall. Has anyone run across this in any of their fields of research? Google lists it quite a few times, but I haven't found any text-related site on it.

One thing that I did pick up is that Moore makes reference to Lincoln's flight through Baltimore wearing a Scotch plaid hat and long cloak. We have all seen that caricature; is he the one that created it? I would also like to see if Moore quoted from Coggeshall's papers - or vice versa.

I did get a tad confused about Freda's lineage to Col. Coggeshall as described in the Intro to the book. I thought it more direct, but if I'm reading correctly, she interviewed a cousin, Ralph Busbey, who was a maternal grandson to Col. Coggeshall. Supposedly, Freda was the only one of her generation to know the stories, and Busbey was supposed to leave the Coggeshall papers to her upon his death. A footnote in the book makes reference to the papers being in the Ohio Historical Society at the time that the book was published (1985).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did William Coggeshall Save Lincoln's Life? - L Verge - 09-28-2016 11:30 AM