Did William Coggeshall Save Lincoln's Life?
09-24-2016, 05:33 AM
RE: Did William Coggeshall Save Lincoln's Life?
I do not understand why Coggeshall mentions none of the claims in Lincoln memorial: The journeys of Abraham Lincoln: from Springfield to Washington, 1861, as president elect; and from Washington to Springfield, 1865, as president martyred; comprising an account of public ceremonies on the entire route, and full details of both journeys.

I am not talking simply about the story of saving Lincoln's life - I am talking about all the other claims such as being a bodyguard for Lincoln, attending Cabinet meetings, being present for the Gettysburg Address, having a private meeting with Lincoln on April 14, 1865, etc. From what I can tell the book could simply have been written using sources such as the newspapers of the day, and not necessarily by a person who actually was present for the events. For example, in the chapter on the assassination, he does not say he met with Lincoln on that day.

I am not sure if this link has already been posted, but there is an article here that contains information and claims regarding Coggeshall:

http://secure.uslegalforms.com.phoebe.li...nBodyguard

Please excuse if that link has already been posted.

Personally, I have doubts Coggeshall ever rode either the inaugural train or the funeral train.
Lincoln was surrounded by friends on the inaugural train - why in the world would Lincoln approach a man he had never met before and say, "Come with me to Washington and I shall go safely?"

The article I linked to says, "Coggeshall wrote an account of Lincoln’s stop in Columbus for the Ohio State Journal but did not mention the invitation to accompany him to Washington." If Lincoln really invited Coggeshall to board the train and go to Washington why would Coggeshall not mention it? If it really happened would he not be proud of it and include in the report?

My personal opinion is that it never happened.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did William Coggeshall Save Lincoln's Life? - RJNorton - 09-24-2016 05:33 AM