Did William Coggeshall Save Lincoln's Life?
09-22-2016, 04:12 PM
RE: Did William Coggeshall Save Lincoln's Life?
Laurie, here is what Coggeshall's wife, Mary, wrote in 1908:

"Near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, the presidential party was to change railroad cars and the train would be switched off to proceed to Baltimore. Lincoln and Coggeshall were the last to go out to the other car. “As they neared the door, they heard a hissing sound and discovered a Hand Grenade just ready to explode. As Mr. Lincoln reached the door, Mr. Coggeshall grasped the shell and hurled it through the open window where it [had] been dropped into the car. As it struck beyond the tracks and exploded, no one was hurt. He sprang into the car where the president awaited him. They took a seat together and with a bound the car leaped forward. Neither spoke for some minutes. Then the President leaned forward and said ‘Did I not tell you I should go safely if you went with me.’”

Laurie, I think what you said correct, but there is no mention of Coggeshall in Pinkerton's Record Book. I checked Norma Cuthbert's book - no mention of Coggeshall there.

I think Mary Coggeshall also made a statement that was carried in newspapers. IF (not sure) I am reading her statement correctly, she then claimed the grenade (bomb) incident happened in Baltimore. This statement by her was in 1909. In her 1908 letter she had claimed it was in Harrisburg.

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/119200827/

My eyes cannot make out the actual newspaper account, but there is text at the bottom in which Mary Coggeshall switches the location of the incident from Harrisburg to Baltimore (as I understand it). She also said her husband threw the bomb outside a window opposite where the crowd was standing.

A few quotes from this 1909 article:

"All these years the story has remained a secret with Mrs. Coggeshall, to whom it was told by her husband in secrecy. Lincoln told no one of it, neither in his family nor in his Cabinet. It comes to light now merely because Mrs. Coggeshall believes its telling can do no harm, and that it may be an interesting addition to the Lincoln literature of the month."

And -

"Mr. Coggeshall turned and saw what menaced them. He gave Lincoln a shove that sent him out onto the platform, grabbed the bomb and hurled it out of the window opposite to where the crowd was gathered and then hurried to the waiting train."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did William Coggeshall Save Lincoln's Life? - RJNorton - 09-22-2016 04:12 PM