Did William Coggeshall Save Lincoln's Life?
09-20-2016, 05:11 AM
RE: Did William Coggeshall Save Lincoln's Life?
Coggeshall says he rode the inaugural train, the funeral train, and was present for the Gettysburg Address. I have no books that verify any of this. John, can you cite some sources for Coggeshall's claims?

Additionally, Koch's book says, "After William Coggeshall saved Lincoln from possible death, the President appointed him an official presidential bodyguard. Coggeshall had the rank of Colonel and was a member of the Secret Service."

There is a footnote for the above which states, "It was not the Secret Service as we know it today but at the time a group of bodyguards appointed by the President and paid for by the presidential discretionary fund."

John, can you tell us about this group of men and the fund? I do not believe I have read about it in any other book. If any of this (Coggeshall being a Secret Service bodyguard to Abraham Lincoln in Washington) really happened why would it not be in Ward Hill Lamon's book? Or Fred Hatch's book? Or John Hay's diary? Or Baker's book?

In all honesty, it has always been my feeling that Lincoln was not really concerned with security, and prior to the summer of 1864 often rode alone on horseback to/from the Soldiers' Home.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did William Coggeshall Save Lincoln's Life? - RJNorton - 09-20-2016 05:11 AM