Did William Coggeshall Save Lincoln's Life?
09-16-2016, 12:12 PM
RE: Did William Coggeshall Save Lincoln's Life?
(09-16-2016 10:48 AM)John Fazio Wrote:  There most certainly was a Secret Service during Lincoln's term (do you suppose the Federal government could carry on a war without an intelligence service?), but it was not known as the Secret Service then, but the National Detective Police--Lafayette C. Baker's fiefdom, which became the U.S. Secret Service shortly after the war. Baker wrote about it at great length in his 1867 book [i]History of the United States Secret Service", which I found a fascinating read, if not always accurate or believable.

I checked Baker's "History of the United States Secret Service." There is not a single mention of Coggeshall in the book that I can find.

If Coggeshall were really Lincoln's first choice ("the best man") to head the National Detective Police then why would he not be mentioned in Baker's book?

I have two books on the inaugural train...one written by Victor Searcher and the other by Scott Trostel. Coggeshall is not mentioned in the text of either of these books.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did William Coggeshall Save Lincoln's Life? - RJNorton - 09-16-2016 12:12 PM