The Atzerodts in the 1860 census?
08-07-2016, 01:58 PM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2016 02:00 PM by Christine.)
RE: The Atzerodts in the 1860 census?
The 1860 census of Charles County starts with Allensfresh, households 1 - 339. 43 images. Images 42 & 43 are Port Tobacco, post office, but no George or siblings on those images.

The next district is Hill Top, with 46 images. Starts with family 340, Port Tobacco is the post office and enumerated on Images 1, 2, 3. No George or his siblings. Lots of Jenkins, though Smile Image 4 begins with Doncaster (or Dancaster) as post office.

So, I didn't see any of the Atzerodts (or anyone born in Germany) listed with the Port Tobacco enumerations.

I did not do an entire line by of the whole county - there are only 168 images, so not too difficult to check them all. I am unfamiliar with most of the people surrounding them, so it would probably be better for someone who knows the history and people of the county to do it, but if you can't I would be happy to.

If anyone is not sure how to do a line by line search on ancestry (and I had to re learn how to do it this morning!), go to search, then census, then US Census collection, and then click on the census you want to search. The top of the page will be the name search. Go to the right of the page "Browse this collection" choose the state and then the county. It should show you all the enumeration districts in that county. Then choose which you want to search and start. Smile

I was curious about the Smith family - one of the people who caused Frederick Aiken grief when he tried to enlist was a Permelia Smith from Virginia who lodged complaints that he was a traitor to the Union. I wonder if those families are related? Perhaps that was Aiken's connection to Mrs. Surratt and the conspirators? Interesting.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Atzerodts in the 1860 census? - Christine - 08-07-2016 01:58 PM