The Atzerodts in the 1860 census?
08-07-2016, 10:32 AM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2016 10:37 AM by Dave Taylor.)
RE: The Atzerodts in the 1860 census?
(08-06-2016 12:30 AM)Christine Wrote:  I found a C Atzrodt age 20 and M Atzrodt age 17 living with a J L Smith family (born 1821 Bavaria Germ) in Westmoreland Virginia. The Atzerodt family lived in Westmoreland in 1850. Pretty sure these are his sister's Catherine and Mary. I will keep looking for others.

Christine,

Thank you for finding George's sisters in the 1860 census. J L Smith is John Leonard Smith who married George's oldest living sister Catherine. Catherine is the C Smith in the record you found. C Atzrodt is his sister Caroline and M Atzrodt is his youngest sister Mary who would later marry Gottlieb Taubert.

If you can find any of the Atzerodt brothers or their mother, I will be forever grateful. Heck, I'd actually love to know what happened to Atzerodt's father, Johann. He's in the 1850 census with the family but that's the last record of him I've been able to find. It's assumed that he was dead by 1865, as there's nothing mentioned about him visiting his son in prison.

(08-05-2016 07:26 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Since he had fathered her child, could he have been enumerated under the household of Mrs. Wheeler?

Little Edith Atzerodt was not born until 1863 and I believe that, in 1860, Mrs. Wheeler was still married to her second husband Henry O. Rose. But, to be honest I can't find her or him in the 1860 census either. Nor can I find other Charles Countians who lived around Port Tobacco like Nicholas Crangle (a tailor who later gave statements about Atzerodt and Mrs. Wheeler) and J. Alexander Brawner (who owned the Brawner Hotel where Jones was offered $100,000 for Booth's whereabouts). I'm starting to think that a whole section of Charles County residents were missed in the 1860 census.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Atzerodts in the 1860 census? - Dave Taylor - 08-07-2016 10:32 AM