Did Mary Lincoln Suffer from Pernicious Anemia?
07-10-2016, 02:38 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2016 02:38 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Did Mary Lincoln Suffer from Pernicious Anemia?
(07-10-2016 05:40 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  I have read about many of her symptoms, but Mary having the Lhermitte symptom was a totally new one to me. I had never heard of it before. I looked it up in Wikipedia, and there it says, "Lhermitte's phenomenon or the Lhermitte phenomenon, sometimes called the barber chair phenomenon, is an electrical sensation that runs down the back and into the limbs. The sensation can feel like it goes up or down the spine. It is generally considered uncomfortable. In many patients, it is elicited by bending the head forward. It can also be evoked when a practitioner pounds on the posterior cervical spine while the neck is flexed; this is caused by involvement of the posterior columns."
This was new to me, too. Please excuse if I overlooked in the article, but where does this quite specific "major physical finding" (Lhermitte's) come from, is there anywhere a source?
I go with Dr. Houme's assessment:
http://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussio...-3066.html
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did Mary Lincoln Suffer from Pernicious Anemia? - Eva Elisabeth - 07-10-2016 02:38 PM