Possible Lincoln artifact discovered!
06-30-2016, 02:26 PM
RE: Possible Lincoln artifact discovered!
When we examine old plaster, we can identify how many layers of paint have been applied over the years, what colors, etc. Even if they painted it each time in the same color, layers stand out because of dirt between them. Structural framing in old houses can determine the age through comparison of tree rings with virgin timber examples from various years/centuries.

I'm taking a stab in the dark here because the photos of the carving appear to have had stain and/or varnish applied over the stab wounds; but if I'm wrong, can you discern any similar "layers" of dirt and varnish that might indicate how long it took the carver to desecrate the piece after its manufacture?

I would agree with you that the chest of drawers itself dates to ca. 1840-60. The Lincolns were married in 1842, so let's theorize that it was purchased shortly after their marriage. Tad was not born until 1853, and the family moved to Washington City in February of 1861, before he turned 8. I don't think that even the permissive Abraham would have allowed his son the use of a knife at that age for that chore - even if he found out after-the-fact. Do the initials appear to have been done fairly recent to their leaving Springfield, or are there indications of years of polishing and varnishing?

As for the etchings on the back, I'm a non-believer.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Mary and the parlor suite - Tadsecrete - 06-24-2016, 05:35 PM
White House furniture - Tadsecrete - 06-24-2016, 07:24 PM
RE: Possible Lincoln artifact discovered! - L Verge - 06-30-2016 02:26 PM
invntoy - Tadsecrete - 07-04-2016, 08:55 AM
RE: invntoy - Eva Elisabeth - 07-04-2016, 05:48 PM
RE: invntoy - Tadsecrete - 07-04-2016, 06:41 PM