Why we must keep the Lincoln history alive
09-02-2012, 09:01 AM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2012 09:05 AM by BettyO.)
RE: Why we must keep the Lincoln history alive
That is one scary thing, Bill! Unfortunately, I think education wise, America places maybe a bit TOO much appreciation on science and math. Although these fields are totally relevant and of course are a MUST in today's society if we are to keep at the head of the field, I also feel that history and English are of just as much vital importance. If we do not know what has occurred in the past - how are we to prevent it from happening again? As the old adage goes, we must study the past to know where we're going in the future! English is of extreme importance in that in order to express ourselves in an intelligent and concise manner, we must have excellent speaking and writing skills. So many businesses, unfortunately seem to put nothing but emphasis on science and math. I have worked for men, who are engineers for a long period. Yes, they can design and they can build - but their speaking and writing skills are at a definite loss. I once worked for a man who had a PhD in Engineering, but I had to rewrite everything he wrote because his English grammar was basically on a third grade level - he spelled phonetically and his verbal skills were atrocious!

Yes, History and Engish are both vitally important -- I only wish those powers that be would realize that as well. History and English need to be taught as being of importance. It's a sad state of affairs when these subjects are dropped by the wayside and not utilized in the correct manner. That people today would NOT know who Lincoln was or even that a Civil War was fought on our own soil is inexcusable and says a great deal (or not enough) about our present educational system! Something is "broken" and definitely needs to be fixed!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why we must keep the Lincoln history alive - BettyO - 09-02-2012 09:01 AM