No need to question this Lincoln conspirator’s guilt
05-26-2016, 07:45 PM
RE: No need to question this Lincoln conspirator’s guilt
(05-26-2016 07:05 PM)Pamela Wrote:  Laurie, it will come as no surprise to you that I disagree with most of what you said, and thanks to you I had to reread Joseph George's paper. Where to start. I'm sure he was a great guy but he had a prejudice and a narrative that he looked to support in his research and writing. When he had the opportunity to make an interpretation of some part of Weichmann's life or something he said or did, he always followed his narrative, that Weichmann threw Mary to the wolves to save his own skin. There are way to many instances to get into, so I'll mention a few. "His testimony helped condemn her, but saved him from prosecution." "....Weichmann later recanted his testimony which had proved so damaging to Mrs. Surratt."
George got into the incident that came up in John's trial where Weichmann admitted looking into the barrell of a gun and reciting Hamlet and Weichmann said he wasn't interested in suicide because, "I am too much of a coward for that." Apparently George never read "To Be or Not to Be" where Hamlet said, "Thus conscience does make cowards of us all." BTW, I recommend reading Hamlet soliloquy, it's beautiful and I never realized it was about the pros and cons of suicide. And here it is!

To Be Or Not To Be’: Original Words Spoken by Hamlet, Act 3 Scene 1

To be, or not to be: that is the question:
Whether ’tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to, ’tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish’d. To die, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there’s the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause: there’s the respect
That makes calamity of so long life;
For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
The oppressor’s wrong, the proud man’s contumely,
The pangs of despised love, the law’s delay,
The insolence of office and the spurns
That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
When he himself might his quietus make
With a bare bodkin? who would fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscover’d country from whose bourn
No traveller returns, puzzles the will
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?
Thus conscience does make cowards of us all;
And thus the native hue of resolution
Is sicklied o’er with the pale cast of thought,
And enterprises of great pith and moment
With this regard their currents turn awry,
And lose the name of action.–Soft you now!
The fair Ophelia! Nymph, in thy orisons
Be all my sins remember’d.

George interpreted a guilty conscience, mine is PTSD.

"As to his brother, there is evidence that Frederick C. Weichmann was a disciplinary problem." Really? What were the problems? Many of the Catholic Seminaries were pro Confederacy; John Surratt's sponsor was known as the "Rebel Bishop" and had spent years in Baltimore before being sent to Florida. Louis decribed the Southern bias in his seminary to Charles Alfred Townsend.

"(Weichmann) had placed his life above his conscience" He was never able to live down...his failure to save his landlady." George's bias and narrative is clear.

You said, " while others of us detect a more uneasy tone (for lack of a better term) in his writings that we have a hard time getting past.--What does that mean?

I don't agree that I claw but I will continue to push back on your narrative, and that of others like Susan's, "Weichmann,...consumed with guilt".

No, Pamela, it comes as no surprise to me (and I would bet to Susan) that you have disagreed with me/us from the very beginning and that nothing we have contributed has been taken into consideration by you. I determined months ago when you last were posting that I was going to ignore you because my efforts were futile. I then reconsidered because I wanted others to understand that there are two sides to viewing Weichmann (and other parts of the Lincoln assassination study also).

As for the soliloquy, we analyzed it in high school English as well as in college - English was my minor. It is a truly beautiful piece of writing. So, there is one thing that we agree on.

What do I mean by the uneasy tones that quite a few of us detect in Weichmann's writings? Are you ready for this next paragraph?

Several people have used the term "Nancy boy" in describing him to me. I honestly did not know what that term meant until I was enlightened, but it did match what I and others had called attention to. Other people have referred to him having a terrible "guilt complex," and your PTSD diagnosis would fit into that. Others have used the words "whining" and "sniveling." Still, others have suggested that he would be comparable to the kid that no one wanted on their baseball team at recess during elementary school. Someone else said that, "Me thinks he doth protest too much."

Finally, this word battle has gained us nothing. I suspect that many of our fellow posters are saying, "Oh, no, not that subject again." In service to them, I am sheathing my claws and leaving this discussion. And, you're right; you may not claw. In fact, I suspect that your fangs are more dangerous. Therefore, when one has done all that they can do to explain the situation, it's time to withdraw from the verbal battlefield. I'm saying, "Good night, Gracie..."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: No need to question this Lincoln conspirator’s guilt - L Verge - 05-26-2016 07:45 PM