No need to question this Lincoln conspirator’s guilt
05-24-2016, 11:10 PM
RE: No need to question this Lincoln conspirator’s guilt
Laurie, in response to your question about my being "entrenched" in the Weichmann story, I blame Floyd Risvold. Actually, I thank him. He wrote a beautiful little note in my book to a Bill Biermann that reads, "May your time be well spent reading this historical narrative for you will be walking in the footsteps of Louis Weichmann through the pages of history." It set an intriguing mood for me to enjoy the book. Weichmann himself couldn't have picked a better editor. Unlike some on this forum, I am not a southern or Confederate sympathizer, and I view Weichmann and his testimony and book in a different , and I believe more accurate light.

For example, Susan said Weichmann was "consumed" with guilt. She back pedaled when I challenged her, to "a sense of guilt" and then hedged with, "Could have felt guilty". There is nothing in his writings or statements to suggest that he felt guilty about his testimony, or if there is please enlighten me. He was sorry for her fate, but he didn't make the decisions about punishment. He said this to introduce his response to Brophy:

"When living I did everything for her that was in my power. I testified to her character nobly. I plead for her day after day with those in authority, that they night spare her life, because she was a woman, and because she had been kind to me once. It was in vain. The government knows best, and must make a dread end just example to terrify all enemies to free government.

Yet, after all this, an attempt has been made by one BROPHY, in Washington, to blacken my character. To silence him, and many other sympathizers with guilt, I deem it necessary to present the following to the public. Let them judge and decide fairly.

I am, Sirs, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

LOUlS J. WEICHMANN."

He was, n fact, her best character witness in the trial. His conscience was clear, but I believe the entire horrible set of events was traumatizing for him as it would be for anyone who lived in that house and cared for the inhabitants. The thing that some around here seem to miss was that Weichmann also loved his country and his President.

Susan then went on to say he spent the rest of his life searching for approval. To me, that says more about her bias then Weichmann's mindset and life.

I realize that I seem to be the only one on this forum that challenges biased and unsubstantiated statements like the ones Susan made, so I guess that makes me "entrenched".

"I desire to thank you, sir, for your testimony on behalf of my murdered father." "Who are you, sonny? " asked I. "My name is Tad Lincoln," was his answer.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: No need to question this Lincoln conspirator’s guilt - Pamela - 05-24-2016 11:10 PM