No need to question this Lincoln conspirator’s guilt
05-08-2016, 05:13 PM
RE: No need to question this Lincoln conspirator’s guilt
Here's my opinion on Mary Surratt's involvement.

John Surratt was out of town. Booth solicited Mary's help in the kidnapping plot and didn't confided his true plan to assassinate Lincoln until the last minute, sometime on April 14th, most likely at the 9 PM meeting. He was well aware of her total loyalty to the Confederacy. He knew how devastated she was after Lee's surrender and her hatred of Lincoln. He wanted her to know that all was not lost and he would save the day by killing Lincoln himself. He wanted her blessings and was working up his courage for what he was about to do. Booth's disclosure took her anxiety and nervousness to a new level. I don't believe Mary was infatuated with Booth but certainly captivated by his charismatic personality and believed he could pull off the kidnapping. The murder plot took her by surprise and the consequences of her and her son's involvement to a new level. " Less than seven hours later, as the President lay dying and Booth having fled, investigators paid an initial visit to the Surratt home. When the investigators left, Surratt reportedly exclaimed to her daughter, "Anna, come what will, I am resigned. I think J. Wilkes Booth was only an instrument in the hands of the Almighty to punish this proud and licentious people." [Weichmann affidavit, 8/11/1865]"

Question. Why did Booth need to hide weapons, maps and field glasses at the Surratt tavern? Couldn't they have been kept on his and the other conspirators horses?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: No need to question this Lincoln conspirator’s guilt - Anita - 05-08-2016 05:13 PM