No need to question this Lincoln conspirator’s guilt
05-08-2016, 09:03 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2016 09:16 AM by Susan Higginbotham.)
RE: No need to question this Lincoln conspirator’s guilt
Being involved in a plot to kidnap the President of the United States would be enough to make most normal people nervous, agitated, and restless, I would think.

When I get a moment, I'll look at the transcript myself, but who was it who described Arnold's role? If it was Bingham and Harris, it behooved them, in order to make the case for guilt of murder, to make the mechanics of the proposed kidnapping sound as ridiculous as possible. And how do we know that Mary knew that whatever was planned for April 14 would necessarily happen at the theater? For all we know, Booth might have told her that he planned to abduct the President from his carriage on the way back to the White House.

I'm still inclined to believe Lewis Powell when he said that Mary might have known that something was going on, but not about the assassination.

EDIT: I think I did find the passage you were referring to about Arnold's role. Still, I'm not convinced that the absurdity of some of the logistics involved in a kidnapping makes it impossible that there ever was one planned.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: No need to question this Lincoln conspirator’s guilt - Susan Higginbotham - 05-08-2016 09:03 AM