No need to question this Lincoln conspirator’s guilt
05-08-2016, 05:17 AM
RE: No need to question this Lincoln conspirator’s guilt
(05-07-2016 10:36 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
(05-07-2016 09:30 PM)Gene C Wrote:  Some people think that Mary Surratt was infatuated with Booth, and that caused her to make some poor decisions.

Which reminds me of a song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfSZARFUvnM

Those of you who have read things I have written (including a chapter in the new Lincoln Assassination Riddle) know that I was raised in a family that believed Mrs. Surratt was guilty. I have issues as to whether or not she knew that the plan had changed to assassination, but I do believe vicarious liability ties her to the conspiracy.

However, I do not believe she was infatuated with Booth. She was faithful to the Confederate cause and protecting her son after the fact.

Laurie:

"I have issues as to whether or not she knew that the plan had changed to assassination..." I gather that you were not persuaded by my arguments last month. Do you suppose that she was described by Weichmann as "very nervous, agitated and restless" that Friday night, and by Smoot as "in a state of feverish excitement", because she anticipated a kidnapping? She knew that whatever was going to happen that night would happen at the theater. Do you believe that she believed that Booth could successfully kidnap Lincoln at the theater and get him to Surrattsville, with such certainty that she would tell Llloyd to have the "shooting irons" ready, that "there will be parties here tonight who will call for them"? Harris and Bingham mocked the whole idea of kidnapping, even causing everyone in the courtroom to burst out laughing (including Arnold himself) when Arnold's role was described to the Commissioners, namely to receive, bundle and carry away the 6' 4" Lincoln as he was lowered from the 12 foot box. What was deserving of mockery then is deserving of mockery now, which means that her certainty, and therefore Booth's certainty, that parties would be at Surattsville that night to call for the shooting irons, precludes a belief in kidnapping, which leaves no conclusion other than the fact that she knew Lincoln would be murdered that night. Now are you persuaded?

John
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: No need to question this Lincoln conspirator’s guilt - John Fazio - 05-08-2016 05:17 AM