Was this Lincoln conspirator guilty? At this museum, you decide.
04-22-2016, 05:57 PM
RE: Was this Lincoln conspirator guilty? At this museum, you decide.
Despite Mary's Catholicism, the Fifth Commandment, and vicarious liability; Mary knew something was in the wind for the evening of April 14. In spite of it all, she had to know that something illegal was to take place. The evidence is clear on that point. At the very least she was guilty of knowledge of an illegal act being planned; although she may not have know what that act was to be. She had ample opportunity to thwart the plot and she chose not to do so. She was guilty but it was never established of what. She, of course, could not take the stand in her own defense. I believe she deserved prison time, maybe even life. Since it was never established just what she knew, she did not deserve the death penalty. I truly believe Johnson lied about not seeing the clemency petition. I can't imagine him skipping over a sheet or saying he was not told. Too much was at stake. He wanted to be clear of the "problem" and later lied to protect his position. I rest my case.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Was this Lincoln conspirator guilty? At this museum, you decide. - Dennis Urban - 04-22-2016 05:57 PM