Garrett Farm on exact 150th of Booth's death
07-13-2016, 02:58 PM
RE: Garrett Farm on exact 150th of Booth's death
Last year, when the site was put on "lock-down," I asked U.S. Senator Mark Warner of Virginia to ask the Army of its intentions. The reply from the Army to him, dated April 10, 2015, said, in part: "To facilitate safe public access to the site, Fort A.P. Hill is working with VDOT [Virginia Department of Transportation], Caroline County, and the Historic Port Royal to establish an agreement that would allow the County to use the Garrett Farm site for short-term events such as site tours." The Army cited preservation and traffic safety for the reasons for closing the site to the public.

While I certainly want the site preserved, completely barring access is not the solution. There should be a relatively easy process by which reputable entities (such as the Surratt Society) may obtain access to the site. Is anyone aware of an established approval process to gain access to the site for "short-term events such as site tours"? If not, it may be time for me to ask Sen. Warner to prod them along.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Garrett Farm on exact 150th of Booth's death - wpbinzel - 07-13-2016 02:58 PM