Curious---Tad left or right handed?
01-04-2018, 09:23 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2018 09:28 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Curious---Tad left or right handed?
(01-26-2016 08:48 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Here are the two samples I can think of regarding Tad's handwriting during the White House years. The first is an inscription Tad wrote to Robert on the back of a photo of Tad on a pony. The second is a telegram from Tad to Gus Gumpert. The web page here says that Tom Pendel wrote the first one. And if Ruth Painter Randall is correct on what Mary Lincoln said, then Tad didn't write the second one either.

[Image: tadwriting1.jpg]

[Image: tadwriting2.jpg]
Tad wrote his name at the top of the Preface page?

Just came across this - I'm quoting from the link below.
"Shortly after Robert’s marriage to Mary Harlan in September 1868, Mary Todd Lincoln and Tad departed for a 2½-year stay in Europe.  Tad’s interest in Mrs. Brown’s Visits to Paris, by Arthur Sketchley, may have been related to that trip.  Tad wrote his name at the top of the Preface page.  The book has a William A. Harlan bookplate on the inside front cover.  Tad spent the time between Robert’s wedding on September 24 and his own departure for Europe on October 1 with his friend William and the Harlan family.  It is possible to speculate that William gave Tad this book about visiting Europe as a bon voyage gift."
http://lincolncollection.tumblr.com/post...ith-family

I didn't know anything evidently written by Tad exists, is anyone familiar with this/the authenticity? If not, your thoughts? Thanks.

This TL looks like written by a different (younger, less skilled) hand than the entire name, which makes me think this might have been written by Tad rather than the entire name.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Curious---Tad left or right handed? - Eva Elisabeth - 01-04-2018 09:23 PM