The Jefferson Lemen Compact - Was it True
02-03-2016, 05:35 PM
RE: The Jefferson Lemen Compact - Was it True
(02-03-2016 01:20 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  Just to add to the excellent research performed by Anita. There were two couches that I am familiar with when it comes to Lincoln, both of which come much closer to reality in having anything to do with Lincoln.

The first, and likely most famous, is the so-called Lincoln Courting Couch which Abraham and Mary sat on in the Edwards' home while developing their relationship. It was recently restored and rededicated at one of the Abraham Lincoln Association events. Looking at the picture, my guess is this is the couch you saw.

The second is the couch in the Lincoln-Herndon Law office that Lincoln stretched out on while at work. It spent time in either the Jacksonville, Illinois office of former U.S. Congressman Paul Findley or his Washington D.C. office, although i'm unsure where it is now. For all I know, Findley may still have it in his home in Jacksonville. For an interesting article on what Lincoln's purchase of the couch meant from a societal point of view, read this.

Best
Rob

Thanks Rob. Amazing how historians used the purchase of the law office couch "to provide insight into Lincoln's construction of his self identity, both as a middle-class gentleman and a self-made man of the people."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Jefferson Lemen Compact - Was it True - Anita - 02-03-2016 05:35 PM