Virginia Lomax and John Mosby graves
11-29-2015, 10:31 PM
Virginia Lomax and John Mosby graves
While scouting around Virginia this weekend looking for a likely place to move, I stopped by Warrenton Cemetery and took some pictures (or, rather, my husband took some pictures).

Below is the tombstone for Virginia Lomax and her sisters, as well as that of their brother Lindsay Lunsford Lomax. Virginia was imprisoned at the Old Capitol around the same time as Mary Surratt and shared a cell with Nora Fitzpatrick for a short time. After the war, Virginia taught school in Baltimore for a while, then moved to Warrenton, where she and her sisters operated an academy for young ladies. (The building where the academy was located still stands, but has been so heavily remodeled it is unrecognizable from the days where Virginia lived there.)

Anne Green, the first of the sisters listed on the tombstone, was married to Thomas Green, whose connections with David Preston Parr and John Surratt brought him under suspicion after the assassination. It was probably Virginia's relationship to the Greens, who were also imprisoned after the assassination, that got Virginia into trouble, although this was not her first arrest for disloyalty. It didn't help matters that the ladies' brother, Lindsay Lunsford Lomax, was a major general in the Conderate army.

[Image: IMG_1791_zpswcgivecy.jpg]

[Image: Lindsay%20Lomax_zpsqdyfqxng.jpg]

This gentleman needs no introduction:

[Image: Mosby_zpstz6mcsra.jpg]

Thomas Green is also buried at Warrenton Cemetery. He spent his last few years at the Government Hospital for the Insane (St. Elizabeths), where he died in 1883. I don't know whether his grave is marked.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Virginia Lomax and John Mosby graves - Susan Higginbotham - 11-29-2015 10:31 PM