Mudd House Victorian Christmas
12-06-2015, 02:07 PM
RE: Mudd House Victorian Christmas
I'm sending thanks also because I have not been able to visit the Mudd Christmas show for years thanks to my problems with mobility.

The Christmas displays at Surratt House opened this past Wednesday, and we have already had good crowds before our main event this coming Saturday, December 12. Our theme this year is "All Dolled Up," and boy are we ever! Two of our volunteers put together their fantastic collection of dolls and antique toys, and they are tastefully displayed in eight of our ten rooms in the historic house. (We decided the tavern and the modern bathroom did not need any...)

We have a table-top tree, much like the one of Victoria's and Albert's that was publicized in newspapers of the late-1850s (with a bucket of water and long-handled sponge to catch any fire that the candles might ignite); our stockings are hung from the mantle with care, and seasonal foods are displayed everywhere. The latter include Maryland beaten biscuits, Southern Maryland stuffed ham, oysters, a snowball cake, ribbon candy, peanut brittle, and marzipan. On Saturday, our guests will be offered cider and cookies at the end of their tour. And, our volunteers will get to cut and enjoy a fresh snowball cake.

Upstairs bedrooms hold more dolls and toys, including a rare Noah's Ark. During the 1800s, it was often frowned upon to let children play with toys on Sundays. The one exception was a toy Noah's Ark complete with "passengers," since it told a Biblical story.

In a small room over our kitchen wing, we created a domestic slave quarters many years ago to tell the story of the one household slave that we know the Surratts had from 1859 on -- Aunt Rachel. A traditional gift for slaves at Christmas was a bundle of new or slightly used clothing. We have such displayed on Aunt Rachel's bed, and our collection of dolls includes a number of rare black dolls from the period.

And yes, I will try to get photos posted of some of the displays. We also give our visitors a booklet on Christmas of Yesteryear. If you are interested in receiving one, please let me know at laurie.verge@pgparks.com. If there are any left over, I will be happy to send you a copy via U.S. Mail.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mudd House Victorian Christmas - L Verge - 12-06-2015 02:07 PM