Mosby's men in Southern MD., part 2
08-28-2012, 10:45 PM
RE: Mosby's men in Southern MD., part 2
Betty O. Here's a bit on Hebb. He was John W.Hebb. Residence 1860 Great Mills, MD. (1839 - 1910). He became a Doctor after the war. He led one of the "Navy Irregulars". Two of his men were James R. Milburn and his brother Charles W. Milburn, from St. Mary's Co. They were the the ones who were arrested by Baker. Gaddy wrote a blurb on them, I'll see if he still has a copy handy.

Laurie. Mosby sent his troops to remote Counties for the winter months, to provide some relief for the farmers who had been feeding them , bandaging them, and burying them - when appropriate. He would recall them when the weather became favorable to resume the war.

Rick. It is not strange that Ruggles, Bainbridge, Jett and Mason were in King George - they lived here. Ruggles was 2nd in command to Thomas N.Conrad at his spycamp, in this County. Thus , Ruggles was not a Mosby man. I do agree that we are not dealing with Coincidences here. I am probably foolish to to think that Mosby would pull out his entire Company, but I will say he pulle out all of his KNOWN Company. Some people did remain - on detached duty, but they were not the ones we are talking about.
Booth may have been "Found" at Dr. Stuart's Cleydael, or at Charles Mason's (Mt. Alta) or for sure at McDaniels, when he stopped for breakfast. McDaniel is one Agent not talked about, because not much is known. His home was at the intersection of Rt 301 and RT 3. Ibelieve he ran a "Safe House" in the "Secret Line". Also, he was realted to Thomas Harbin and Thomas Jones.
Charles Mason was aBIG MANin King George. He was wealthy, was a State Senator, and was married to Thomas Jefforson's grand daughter. (That a story , all it's own.)
From the time that Booth ate breakfast, he was deffinately back in the hands of The Secret Service. So, from there he was under surveilance.
Enoch's meeting may have been a coincidence, since he was headed south to let the System know that Booth was found. He left Booth Immediately and most likely went to Milford, VA where there was a RR Station and the telegraph. But Ruggles was to intercept Booth at the River -and STAY WITH HIM. WHo ordered that? I don't know, but I will make a guess.....Charles Mason.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mosby's men in Southern MD., part 2 - John Stanton - 08-28-2012 10:45 PM