Life, Crime and Capture of John Wilkes Booth
01-17-2016, 11:20 AM (This post was last modified: 01-18-2016 03:29 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Life, Crime and Capture of John Wilkes Booth
1. This passage:
"Let men remember that she is the mother of a son who has fled to save
his forfeit life by deserting her to shame, and perhaps, to death. Let women,
who will not mention her in mercy, learn from her end, in all succeeding
wars, to make patriotism of their household duties and not incite to blood."

...was one I was going to post, too. First because of the judgement/criticism of J.S.'s flight, and as for the "typical" (especially 19the century)) male view on male and female "determination" and chores. I guess men had little share in kids' education and upbringing?

2. Another sentence that struck me: "How far her wicked love influenced her to participation in the murder rests in her own breast." Love for whom? Booth? The South? (Her son?)

3. "It is 10 o'clock, and the court is soon to sit. Its members ride down in superb ambulances and bring their friends along to show them the majesty of justice. A perfect park of carriages stands by the door to the left, and from these dismount major-generals' wives, in rustling silks; daughters of congressmen, attired like the lilies of the milliner; little girls who hope to be young ladies and have come with " Pa," to look at the assassins; even brides are here, in the fresh blush of their nuptials, and they consider the late spectacle of the review as good as lost, if the court-scene be not added to it."

This passage instantly reminded me of this:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KQmmyY0NEAg
... and similar events. Also of the First Battle of Bull Run picknickers.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Life, Crime and Capture of John Wilkes Booth - Eva Elisabeth - 01-17-2016 11:20 AM