Mrs. Lincoln’s Salon: Her Form Inclines To Stoutness
11-03-2015, 08:07 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2015 11:01 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Mrs. Lincoln’s Salon: Her Form Inclines To Stoutness
(11-03-2015 04:45 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(11-03-2015 03:15 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  I wonder if Abraham Lincoln perhaps preferred that kind of shape.

But not too much, though. Ten years earlier (1838) he had written about Mary Owens:

"I knew she was over-size, but she now appeared a fair match for Falstaff...for her skin was too full of fat, to permit its contracting in to wrinkles; but from her want of teeth, weather-beaten appearance in general, and from a kind of notion that ran in my head, that nothing could have commenced at the size of infancy, and reached her present bulk in less than thirty five or forty years; and, in short, I was not all pleased with her."
Forgot about that...maybe he meanwhile had changed his mind? However, I think the "mindchange" is the best proof that he did love his wife as love makes everyone beautiful the way she/he is.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mrs. Lincoln’s Salon: Her Form Inclines To Stoutness - Eva Elisabeth - 11-03-2015 08:07 PM