DNA Is Said to Solve a Mystery of Warren Harding’s Love Life
08-20-2015, 06:51 PM
RE: DNA Is Said to Solve a Mystery of Warren Harding’s Love Life
I have to agree with Bill's interpretation; unless we can completely change all mankind, there will always be some form of discrimination -- and it is not indigenous to the United States. I found both the French and the Belgians a tad rude to "foreigners" in general while I was visiting in their country. Two women in Brussels blatantly babbled something in French about my friend and me and the U.S., not knowing that my friend was a French teacher and that I had minored in French as an undergrad. For once in my life, I ignored the insult.

On the home front, I married into a family that was one-half Italian and one-half Russian (with one drop of Polish). I've heard a lot of derogatory comments and jokes about those lines. Likewise, they were good at giving back with Irish and Chinese jokes , and I was instantly labeled a "cake eater" because of my Anglo-Saxon, Protestant/French background.

The racial issue predominates because that is what the media focuses on. Whatever sells at any particular moment. Kennedy's election broke many of the religious barriers because his Catholicism was focused on by his opponents -- and they lost.

Most cultures within American society have worked hard to overcome the stigmas and prejudices that they have endured over the years. The proof is in the pudding. Show us what you're made of and how much good you can contribute to society, and many barriers and negative opinions can come tumbling down.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: DNA Is Said to Solve a Mystery of Warren Harding’s Love Life - L Verge - 08-20-2015 06:51 PM