Mudd Descendants visit Fort Jefferson NP
07-29-2015, 07:57 PM (This post was last modified: 07-29-2015 08:04 PM by Susan Higginbotham.)
RE: Mudd Descendants visit Fort Jefferson NP
I'm confused. Am I understanding this exchange to mean that Booth had a password provided to him by Mary Surratt? If so, why would Cobb not mention Booth's use of a password in his trial testimony? It would be to his advantage to say that he waved Booth through due to his use of a password rather than falling for his story about not knowing the rule that people weren't supposed to pass after nine.

(07-29-2015 03:31 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I could have sworn that one of your very early postings on Demond mentioned Booth and Herold being detained very early in the morning of the 14th. Pardon me if I misread it. Also, I checked Terry's chapter notes, and he does credit the Swaim Papers as being the source for Demond information. There is a note that the original was in a letter to a George Demond written on April 21, 1865, but reprinted in the Boston Traveler nearly 100 years later on April 14, 1964. Who is good at finding old articles from fifty years ago?

Here is the 1964 article.

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1964/...d-by-guard
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mudd Descendants visit Fort Jefferson NP - Susan Higginbotham - 07-29-2015 07:57 PM